x

ADONIS:
Version 3.90.3 (Released at 02/24/2024)
- The ability to apply a force gradient or pressure to a boundary is presented.
- New tutorial is added to explain how to apply gradient boundary conditions.

HYRCAN:
Version 2.0.13 (Released at 02/03/2024)
- To allow users to import CAD files using scripting, the importmodel command is introduced.
- Program's webhelp has been reformatted.

Is there a way to model an embedded diaphragm into the ground?(Read 7167 times)
Hi,

Many thanks for the nice software! I started translating it to Greek.

Is there a way to model an embedded diaphragm into the ground (like a sheet pile or a diaphragm wall)?
On the user Reference manual I read that "From Version V2.0 forward the beam element can only be attached to the boundary edges. If you want to attach beam element into non-boundary edges you need to excavate the region and expose the boundary edges, attach the beam element to them then backfill the excavated part and proceed."

Thanks
George Nikolaidis

George,

it's a great news, I think it's about the time to have Greek language in ADONIS.

regarding the embedded diaphragm, yes you can. To get around the criteria you just mentioned you can create a geometry and a line right at the location you want to have your diaphragm at then hide (excavate) the one side of the mesh attach the beam element and then make the portion visible (fill). This way you can have embedded beam element. please note that, if you want to do this in the middle of the simulation and don't want to change the stress condition you need to make sure "Reset Element after Excavation" box is unchecked during the excavation (hiding) otherwise the stress will be set to zero.

looking forward to seeing the Greek translation in the near future.

-Roozbeh

Thank you very much Roozbeh. I tried my first example of sheet pile wall. 

Trying to model it, and looking at some examples in the forum, I was a little bit confused with the units.
For example in my example I use kN and m (declaring it as user-defined, so results are in the same units as data). Ι used a soil with bulk modulus 15000 kPa , Shear mod. 7500 kPa, cohesion 8 kPa  and Mass Density 20 kN/m3, and a sheet pile with Area=0.006 m2 , Monent of Inertia=1.28e-4 m4  (per metre of length) and Elastic modulus 2.1e8 kN/m2. I have also applied a (huge) load pressure at the top 65 kN/m2.

In the results, shear force and bending moment are in kN and kN/m2, but the displacements look like being expressed in mm and not in m. (or else I have done something very wrong). Is this correct?
I also wanted to ask, if I use for example cm as units, the geometric dimensions of the model must be given in cm also, or they are always in m?

I'm continuing translating in Greek. I think I'll finish in about a week.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 11:24:54 am by ggnikol »

George,

if you select "stress-kPa", the unit for displacement is going to be in meter definitely.

your model looks good but one issue is that the density is too high it should be in the order of 2.0 not 20. if you select 2000 kg/m3 for density, for the selected unit the density value is going to be 2.0 Mg/m3. The system of the unit for mechanical parameters are shown in "quick start tutorial".

maximum horizontal displacement is estimated to be 2.9 cm as shown in the contour plot.

-Roozbeh

Thank you very much!  Everything if fine now!