x

ADONIS:
Version 3.90.3 (Released at 02/24/2024)
- The ability to apply a force gradient or pressure to a boundary is presented.
- New tutorial is added to explain how to apply gradient boundary conditions.

HYRCAN:
Version 2.0.13 (Released at 02/03/2024)
- To allow users to import CAD files using scripting, the importmodel command is introduced.
- Program's webhelp has been reformatted.

Introducing myself(Read 5991 times)
Introducing myself on: October 28, 2021, 02:20:32 am
I don't know whether it is common in this forum to introduce yourself.
I am a senior lecturer in geotechnical engineering at the University of Oviedo, Spain.
Sorry for my english I am not very proficient in english, I don't use it too much.

I have previously used finite elements softwares like Phases 2/3D, flac3D and others to get solutions to my geotechnical models.

I have recently found this freeware looking for alternatives to rocsciences products to be used on my classroom and get free of licensing problems.

It seems amazing to me. It is a great job and I really appreciate the huge effort done by its developer.

I had it only scrapped its surface yet (both adonis and hyrcan) but both seem excelent implementations.

I have some questions about Adonis...
How is it formulated?

It seems to be model after FLAC's Lagrangian formulation and solution using finite differences.
So it seems not to used a static approach common in finite elements programs, and it can deal with problems not in equilibrium, and is more appropiate for plastic models.

But I could not find any info about that.
The program seems to hide all the complesity and you cannot tweak the solution method too much, just adjust the damping factor (flac uses several algorithms to adjust damping dynamically and solve the equation quicker. You can change it).
Due to the damping factor I asume that the program uses a Langrangian formulation.

I have read that dynamic problems cannot be made, yet. It would be wonderfull to be able to use the program to solve dynamice models.

It shouldn?t be too much effort to adapt it to dynamic models, as the basic equation are already there (well any programming in this field is a huge effort, but the most part of it is already there).

I have read in the forum that there are plans to open the source code.

It would be wonderfull.
I have some expertize in programing in C, C++ and C#, but I have abadoned programming long time ago (when the windows environment make developing of interfaces too complex for me).

I don't feel able to program the basic algothims, but may be I can contribute with some additions to the programs (both Adonis and Hyrcan).

I am very interested in developing a program for analysing planar and wedge sliding in a rock mass, and provide steregraphic projections of joint data. I would like to implement some ideas that cannot be tested with DIPS (from Rockscience) or other programs I know.
It will be an opensource effort.

May be that the programming environment used by this software fits my need to begin developing that program.
May you tell me something about the programming environment you use? Language, and interface libraries?

Thank you a lot for your time and efforts
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 03:03:35 am by ariznaf »
Senior Lecturer on Geotetchnical Engeneering
Mines Department
University of Oviedo

Re: Introducing myself Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 07:20:05 am
Hi,

I'm glad you find ADONIS/HYRCAN useful. A conference paper I published couple of years ago might answer must of your questions:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320180653_ADONIS_A_free_finite_element_analysis_software_with_an_interactive_graphical_user_interface_for_geoengineers

- The language I use is always C++ and framework is Qt

- Regarding the damping there is nothing to hide only available option for damping so far is the so called "local damping".

Re: Introducing myself Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 11:36:28 am
thank you for the answer.
So a constant and adjustable dampong factor is used.

Of course I find the software usefull.

I have beleived for long time that itasca should have followed this path to improve and modernize their flac software, modernizing the interface and making the program more interactive and implement a modern script interpreter instead of the clunky script language they use with no functions and only global variables.

Now I find it implemented in your free software. It is amazing.
Mines Department
University of Oviedo

Re: Introducing myself Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 11:42:47 am
thanks,

by the way, say Hi to my good friend Prof. Juan Luis Fernandez-Matinez from University of Oviedo. He is at Mathematics Department.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 01:49:29 pm by Roozbeh »

Re: Introducing myself Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 01:22:07 pm
I know him, he studied with me (or me with him)
I don't see him too often right now, but I will say hello from you when I see him.

Thank you
Mines Department
University of Oviedo