x

ADONIS:
Version 3.90.3 (Released at 02/24/2024)
- The ability to apply a force gradient or pressure to a boundary is presented.
- New tutorial is added to explain how to apply gradient boundary conditions.

HYRCAN:
Version 2.0.13 (Released at 02/03/2024)
- To allow users to import CAD files using scripting, the importmodel command is introduced.
- Program's webhelp has been reformatted.

Geogrid help(Read 7883 times)
Geogrid help on: April 27, 2019, 03:04:08 pm
Hi all,

I need some assistance with using geogrids, I do not think I have set up my model correctly as the geogrids do not seem to distribute the load as expected.I attach my script for comment / help from the forum.

Thanking you in advance

Domenico

Re: Geogrid help Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 08:50:10 pm
by quick look at your model I would say that the size of strip elements are very coarse with respect to solid element and because of that differential displacement from one node to another is not distributed accurately. you need finer strip element size (let's say 200 elements or maybe mode). also if you use T6 element you might get more accuracy if needed.

Re: Geogrid help Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 08:14:46 am
Many thanks Roozbeh. I will update the model.

Keep up the great work.

D

Re: Geogrid help Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 08:39:16 am
Hi Roozbeh,

Just ran it with 180 nodes per strip with a 10mm wide 4mm thick web on the geogrid, but the analysis seems to return the same results with or without the geogrids. I can't seem to think I've missed something in the script.

Regards

Domenico

Re: Geogrid help Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 09:36:48 am
I think you at least need to revisit the geogrid element properties. width and thickness seems to be very low and there is in consistency between sbond and kbond.

also your model shows close to 11 mm vertical displacement below geogrid which is not whole a lot. a practical question that one might ask is, how much reduction you expect to get by using geogrid at such a low level of displacement?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:47:10 am by Roozbeh »

Re: Geogrid help Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 10:54:30 am
Hi Roozbeh,

That is one thing I was struggling to get right, the parameters of the geogrid in the software:

The geogrid is a square one with approx. 5mm wide 4mm thick webs at 40mm centres.

Calculation width 1m
num strip 20 per m
width of web 5mm
thickness of web 4mm

I trust the physical dimensions are correct. I'll check the structural properties again against the manufacturer, not they they provide much.

Thanks

Domenico