x

ADONIS:
Version 3.90.3 (Released at 02/24/2024)
- The ability to apply a force gradient or pressure to a boundary is presented.
- New tutorial is added to explain how to apply gradient boundary conditions.

HYRCAN:
Version 2.0.13 (Released at 02/03/2024)
- To allow users to import CAD files using scripting, the importmodel command is introduced.
- Program's webhelp has been reformatted.

How to model a gravity wall?(Read 7268 times)
How to model a gravity wall? on: March 28, 2020, 02:05:28 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to model a simple gravity wall. My question is: do I have to use the beam element to model the wall itself? I think it's more realistic to model the wall as an portion of the model filled with a material that resembles concrete or gambion, for instance. When I try this, however, I can't put an interface between the two materiais (soil and wall), so I can't get shear and moment values. That's my problem...

Hope you understand the question. Thank you.

Re: How to model a gravity wall? Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 10:21:32 pm
Hi

one way is to use solid element to model the gravity wall and install beam elements attached to the boundary of the gravity wall. one thing you need to do is to scale down the beam's Young Modulus (i.e. E) with very small factor (to reduce the effect of stiffness on the results) then use the inverse factor to scale back the moment estimated in the beam element.

of course there is going to be error how much I do not know but this the way to get around it I've done it before.

-Roozbeh

Re: How to model a gravity wall? Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 06:28:30 am
Thank you, Roozbeh. I'll try to improve my model and i'll share it when it's complete.