x

ADONIS:
Version 3.90.3 (Released at 02/24/2024)
- The ability to apply a force gradient or pressure to a boundary is presented.
- New tutorial is added to explain how to apply gradient boundary conditions.

HYRCAN:
Version 2.0.13 (Released at 02/03/2024)
- To allow users to import CAD files using scripting, the importmodel command is introduced.
- Program's webhelp has been reformatted.

Non circular using Morgenstern-Price method (Read 5154 times)
Non circular using Morgenstern-Price method on: September 09, 2021, 07:53:08 pm
Hi Roozbeh,

I would like to thank you for your great work here.
I can see that this is very useful software for students and practitioners.
However in order to improve this software, I was wondering whether you could the non circular failure mechanism option using Morgenstren-Price method.

Regards,

Ardie 

Re: Non circular using Morgenstern-Price method Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 11:51:26 pm
Hi Ardie,

thanks for the comment, I agree.
I'm currently working on Spencer method when it's verified and implemented I'll expand the formulation to GLE/M-P.

-Roozbeh

Re: Non circular using Morgenstern-Price method Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 01:40:12 pm
Yes, other kind of surfaces families would be wellcome.

Landslides do not have excactly circular sections, but more like a logarithmic spiral.

But all current software I know about uses still circular surfaces. One thing I would like to see is generating  this kind of surfaces and comaparing results with the traditional aproach.

Of cource you need a precise method like spencer or morgensten-price (spencer is just morgenstent-price with a constant function) in order to simultaniously satisfy moment and force equilibrium, as the movement won't be a translation (as planar slidind where jambu may be satisfactory) or rotation around the center of the circle (where bishop will be adequate).
But you can provide results any way from these aproximate methods even if the results won't be meaningfull.

Other kind of surfaces like poligonal lines (along contacts for example) genarating arcs or straight lines in the extremes to find the surface would be very usefull in other situations (like in slide program or geoslope).
These programs provide results for all the methods when you select non circular surfaces, even if the results won't be acurate and theoretically not very meaningfull.

Senior Lecturer on Geotetchnical Engeneering
Mines Department
University of Oviedo