x

ADONIS:
Version 3.90.4 (Released at 04/07/2024)
- Bug in interface save/read is fixed.
- Bug in mesh generation action has been fixed.

HYRCAN:
Version 2.0.13 (Released at 02/03/2024)
- To allow users to import CAD files using scripting, the importmodel command is introduced.
- Program's webhelp has been reformatted.

carbon steel jacket tube(Read 633 times)
carbon steel jacket tube on: April 03, 2024, 03:34:47 pm
Hello Dr Roozbeh,

I am modeling in ADONIS the implementation of a carbon steel jacket tube DN 500 mm x e= 12.7 mm under a railway track.
In this study, I am carrying out the analysis using the Mohr-Coulomb method, considering the same analogy presented in the example in Tutorial 7 - ADONIS.
Doubts:
1- It is correct if I enter the ?Beam Element Properties? window and enter in the area (m?) field the value of the tube thickness in meters (0.0127 m), which when multiplied by a range of 1.00, will become 0.0127 m?)
2- Moment of inertia is calculated depending on the thickness of the tube, that is: 1.00 x 0.127? / 12?
3- The value of the modulus of elasticity that I should consider is that of the carbon steel tube, correct?
4- At the top of the model I am applying railway type train loading, which I understand can be distributed or concentrated load. That's right?
5- Could I also apply the concepts presented in Tutorial 1, which in this case is the Iso Elastic model? In this case, would I apply the yield stress of the steel in sxx, syy and szz in the Element Stress window? Is my interpretation correct?

Thanks

CRO - Brazil
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 03:46:27 pm by CRO »

Re: carbon steel jacket tube Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 06:55:41 am
Hi,

I'm assuming the tube is cylindrical; if so, you'll need to figure out the wall's cross-section area and apply it to the beam element.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pipes-equations-d_873.html

In a similar manner, the wall's moment of inertia can be determined.

https://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/section_square_case_12.htm#google_vignette

Individual beam elements can be simulated in ADONIS; the default spacing out of the plane is one, but you can use the as-built parameter to change this value in the property dialog.

You can use any constitutive model that is available in the program for soil/ground, but only an elastic model is available for beam elements.

-Roozbeh

Re: carbon steel jacket tube Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 11:55:11 am
Hi, Dr. Roozbeh.

Thank you for your feedback and explanations.
I still have a question when I look at Tutorial 7 ? ADONIS (Figure 8, page 9).
In properties of beam elements (Figure 8), the value of Area in (m?) is equal to the thickness of the shotcrete, that is, A= 0.10 m?.
Therefore, I understand that this value is a unit value, that is: 0.10 m?/m and not the cross-sectional area of ​​the tunnel wall, as you explained to me above. If it were the cross-sectional area, you would need to multiply that number by the
perimeter of the coating, which did not occur during the launch of the information in the software.
So my question is: should the value to be filled in the Area (m?) field be the unit value of the wall area in m?/m?
Likewise, the question applies to the moment of inertia, which in the case of Tutorial 7, this moment was defined as being: 1.00 x 0.10? / 12= 8.33E-5 m4, where 1.00 = ? beam b?, as follows:
I understand that the software always assumes beam b= 1.00 m, correct?

// install shotcrete var beam_nu = 0.2; // shotcrete poisson's ratio
var beam_th = 0.1; // shotcrete thickness
var beam_b = 1.0; // out of plane length
var beam_area = beam_th * beam_b; // shotcrete area
var beam_I = (beam_b*Math.pow(beam_th,3))/12.0; // shotcrete moment of inertia
var beam_ymod = 15e9 / (1-Math.pow(beam_nu,2)); // And should be divided by (1 − nu^2) to account for plane-strain conditions.
structure("drawbeam","beamid",1,"xlim",-6.5,6.5,"ylim",-16.3,-10.5)
structure("material","beamid",1,"area",beam_area,"I",beam_I,"ymod",beam_ymod)

What elastic model is available for beam elements? Can you please clarify?

Best Regards.

CRO

Re: carbon steel jacket tube Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 12:49:57 pm
The cable, tieback, pile, and beam elements share the same concept. For example, you have to indicate the exact area, not the distributed area along the unit length, when using a beam for bracing. Programs automatically scale up or down the properties to account for the impact of the spacing value.

Shotcrete is different; because it is continuous, you must compute the area using unit length out of plane.

The most fundamental constitutive model is the elastic one. I'm afraid you'll have to research it on your own.

The examples below illustrate the model behavior of the beam element. It comes from the FLAC2D manual, but ADONIS is exactly the same:

https://docs.itascacg.com/itasca900/flac3d/zonesel/test2d/Beam/BracedSupport/BracedSupport.html?node1464
https://docs.itascacg.com/itasca900/common/sel/test2d/Beam/ConcentratedLoads/ConcentratedLoads.html?node1465