x

ADONIS:
Version 3.90.4 (Released at 04/07/2024)
- Bug in interface save/read is fixed.
- Bug in mesh generation action has been fixed.

HYRCAN:
Version 2.0.13 (Released at 02/03/2024)
- To allow users to import CAD files using scripting, the importmodel command is introduced.
- Program's webhelp has been reformatted.

MSE Retaining Wall (Read 16813 times)
MSE Retaining Wall on: June 21, 2018, 12:43:03 am
Hello,

I am new in geotechnical and i encountered some problems in adonis.

First i made my retaining wall back-to-back, apply mesh but i do not understand how assigned material works.

What soil parameters i must introduce?

I do not find an explanation on this program or example for this.

i must do some structural analysis like deformation based on surcharge.

Thank you.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 12:50:56 am
In order to assign property you need to create new material choose the right constitutive model add it to the list specify properties and then click on created material then use your mouse to pick the region you want to apply the selected material at then press apply or enter. In the help attached to the program you will be able to find simple explaination.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 10:41:54 am
Hello,

I tried  as i see on example but did not go well, my Teacher wants me to make a modeling but he is a fan for Abaqus or Plaxis and i do not have those programs.

I am very new on fine element programs and first i created a model with 2 layers of material ( first layer clay with the folowing properties     γ= 19 (kN/m3) E= 10.000 (kPA)  c= 28 ( kPa) and friction angle 16, on layer to i got sand+ gavrel
γ= 20 (kN/m3) E= 20.000 (kPA)  c= 0 ( kPa) and friction angle 35.

From what i undestand i must use at material Mohr-Coulomb and i do not now if i add this paramters corectly? ( can you help me?

Also i did o small scale a something like sandbox and i applied boundary on botom,left and right to see how the material behaves under gravity and depends on the material.

I need to understand this part, untill i can add my retaining wall ( back-to-back wall) too see after how will affect the soil under this load.

Thank you.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 10:46:27 am
please generate the script using "save script" from the file menu and attach it in here for review. thanks

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 11:04:58 am
I started to make faster, i attached the script, i may miss some parameters.

from what i saw on density i got MN/m3 and i thought i need to convert it from kN/m3.

The teacher wants to see a smooth displacements not chaotic like mine.

I know i skipped some classes and sleep on presentations, T_T.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 11:28:17 am
you had couple of mistakes. major one was when you used zero bulk modulus. you need to make sure that shear and bulk modulus are non zero otherwise model is going to collapse.

also always make sure you use newmodel() at the first line of your script to avoid error every time you load this script.

in boundary condition sides are fixed only in x-direction and base in y-direction. fixing sides in y-dir might cause some problem specially for the cases that boundary is close to the structure so it's better to realistically use x-fix only.

I modified your model and attached in here. please go through the changes line by line and make sure you follow the concept.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 10:42:36 pm
Thank you,

May i ask why i got on Sand+Gravel bulk 40.000 kPa?

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 10:44:59 pm
rndom number simply doubled the shear modulus that's all. you should put your actual value in there.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 11:04:15 pm
I do not have a detailed geotehnical study, i only got those parameters, now i will make the retaining wall in wich will have a 1.35 m depth in the first layer, i will make an analysis withouth geogrids then i will add the greogids, may i ask how should i apply the load on top on MSE? ( i got a surchage q= 26 kN/m2)

I will post here each step.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 02:38:45 am
Hello, i did de model with the coordinates from Autocad.

I added third material ballast and not sure if displacements are corect.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 05:26:07 am
Hello,

I added surchage -26 kPa ( stress), still figuring the geometry of the geogrids.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 07:56:24 am
I recommend you to keep a clean script file in a separate folder and after every couple lines of commands update this file by including commands and removing unnecessary lines to make it easier for reviewers or other users to follow. unfortunately current script file keeps almost all the changes you made during your simulation and it's a mess. it's very difficult to follow.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 11:33:28 pm
I will make new simulations much cleaner, since i did not found undo command everytime  when i do a mistake i start over again and sometimes the program crashes.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 04:10:52 am
Whenever you run script and it crashes please send me the script so I will be able to find and solve the problem. Thanks.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 04:35:19 am
The crash usualy starts:

For example when i did  multiple lines in a wrong way and i try to delete them all at the same time the program crash. ( this is the most frequently)