x

ADONIS:
Version 3.90.4 (Released at 04/07/2024)
- Bug in interface save/read is fixed.
- Bug in mesh generation action has been fixed.

HYRCAN:
Version 2.0.13 (Released at 02/03/2024)
- To allow users to import CAD files using scripting, the importmodel command is introduced.
- Program's webhelp has been reformatted.

MSE Retaining Wall (Read 16811 times)
Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 07:51:49 am
is it possible for you to repeat the same mistakes as you said and save the script right before deleting the lines and send it to me? unfortunately I can not recreate the same bug. no crash here for me after deleting lines.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 12:06:32 am
Hello,

Before i try to make 5 example

Note: this is only for my dissertation project

1: Terrain in natural conditions as you showed to me in an example
2: Retaining wall with no surcharge or geogrids
3: Retaining wall with surcharger applied but without geogrids
4  Retaining wall with geogrids but no surcharge
5  Retaining wall with surcharge and geogrids

I will do again Nr.1 but i got few questions

Physical unit set: m-kPa-kN/m3

Equilibruim ratio:  in the example you corected for me  you set this parameter 9,91e-4 ( based on what? - need to know why is this suitable for my retaining wall)

Water table:  i stated in my project that i have water located at -10 m - the manual says to add water density wich means  1e-9 mg/m3 i think but when i did some solve i do not see some changes at pore pressure

On Mesh Type: wich is more suitable in retaining wall 3-node triangle or 6- node triangle

If i chose solve fos without change some setting there i receive the folowing msg: factor of safety is greater than upper bound limit 32 ,  :'(

On Force/Stress section i got from surcharge 26 kPA  how can i apply it corectly?

I do not find enough documentation to solve alone :(

My Teacher says this program is rubish and wants to force me to make my model in Abaqus or Plaxis, but these are not free or easy to install and i set up already that i want to finish my project with Adonis,  so i can show to other students that there are other ways.

Let me know how to overcome this problems.

Thank you.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 10:43:41 pm
by default equilibrium ratio is set to 1e-3 based on experience this value is good enough for most practical cases but if you need smaller value you will easily be able to modify this in the setting.

if you choose m-kPa-kN/m3 as unit the density of water would be 1000 Kg/m3

uniform distributed stress can be applied easily from Initial Condition" section. please read this part of manual carefully.
http://geowizard.org/doc_manual.html

traditionally simulators start with coarse mesh and lower accuracy (3-node mesh) to get the initial result quicker and then they increase the accuracy with reducing the mesh size and also using higher degree elements (6-node). but again from experience for most geotechnical practices the fine 3-node element is good enough.

fos>32 means your model is "very stable" for given information if needed you can change the max value in the fos dialog box. please double check the shear strength of your model and note that fos only works for Mohr-Coulomb and Hoek-Brown constitutive models.

from my understanding you have a little knowledge on basics of finite element methods and from my point of view you are making a big mistake of jumping into simulation without even understanding the basics. also your teacher is making a big mistake that forces you to this without teaching you the methods itself. this could be very discouraging for you regardless of the name of the software your going to use.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 04:55:07 am
Hello,

Since the summer has ended i finally finished my retaining wall and hope i got less mistakes that i used to have from start. :o

See attached script in mail.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 05:21:22 am
Hello,

While i finished my first retaining wall with Adonis i encountered some problems in setting corectly the right parameters in some points and i get confused and the online manual does not help to much.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 12:18:20 am
which ones? I might be able to clarify a bit more later on.

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 11:33:46 pm
Hope i can explain corectly my little problem.

After i did the calculations on my retaining wall i found that i have 30 km displacements ( wich is bad)

I selected Units: m-kPa- kN/m3 ( wich is good for me) but i think i might put the wrong parameters on material.

First part:

I chose Mohr-Coulomb method

Material ID: 1
Density [Mg/m3]: this unit measure is a bit confusing why not kg/m3? i have for example 21 kN/m3 from earlier posts i asume it would be 2.1?
Shear: good got E=10.000 kPa
Bulk: kinda confused why i should put 20.000 kPA twice shear
Coh: good
Frig: good
dil: ?
tens: ?

And for strips i found another problem with the units:
I use geogrids ( uniaxial geogrids made from HDPE) in my model but not sure if i put corectly the parameters.

Geometry: Calc. Width (m) ?
Num Strip/ Calc. Width ?
Width: twice width?
Thickness: just for the geogrid?
Elastic Parameter: for the geogrild material wich is HDPE?
Density: of HDPE ( should be good)

Yeld Strength:

Com. Yeld Strength: ? kPA
Ten. Yeld Strength:?

Interface

Bond Stiffness: Kpa?
Bond Strength:?
Bond Fric. Angle: ?

And on a retaining wall i got many layers of geogrid, should i use just 1 strip ( ID S1?) or new ID for every new layer i add?

Re: MSE Retaining Wall Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 01:38:30 pm
to save some time please go to link below and download the pdf file. it's a manual for structural element for commercial software called FLAC. the concept of geogrid element in the ADONIS is almost identical to the strip element explained in there. the detail explanation for each parameters are given. please take a look at page 1-153.

http://web.mst.edu/~norbert/ge5471/Assignments/Assign%201%20-%20FLAC%20I/FLAC%20manual/FLAC%20manual/f2d416.pdf