x

ADONIS:
Version 3.90.4 (Released at 04/07/2024)
- Bug in interface save/read is fixed.
- Bug in mesh generation action has been fixed.

HYRCAN:
Version 2.0.13 (Released at 02/03/2024)
- To allow users to import CAD files using scripting, the importmodel command is introduced.
- Program's webhelp has been reformatted.

Interpreting contour plots(Read 12556 times)
Interpreting contour plots on: May 12, 2017, 07:48:32 pm
Hi,
I am new to FEM but found this software very easy to use and script. I modeled a problem published in literature that used other FEM  software and when I look at the displacement contour the shape closely matches the published results but the temperature of the contours is inverted. Where it is expected to be blue ADONIS shows red and vice versa through the contour plot. The FOS is matching fairly closely to what is expected. Is there a setting that can adjust the coloring palette or is it more likely there is a mistake in my input parameters making the colors show opposite to what is expected?

As I am new to FEM I am not up on how to interpret the differences between x, y, xx, yy, and xy plot if all of the plots are drawn on a 2D layout of the slope that has rise and run. Is there a recommended primer I could use to learn how to interpret different plot meanings and the values that are shown adjacent to the contour color legend.

Re: Interpreting contour plots Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 09:08:47 pm
you can select the contour plot item and click "edit" button and change the coloring style (i.e. hot to cold or cold to hot). or you will be able to export the data at each node to text file and use third part program to plot them out (let's say using matlab or octave).

regarding the x, y, xx, etc. x and y stands for x-axis and y-axis direction and depending on type of plot you can interpret it. for instance sxx stands for stress in horizontal direction and sxx stands for shear stress and so on.

Re: Interpreting contour plots Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 11:03:18 am
Perfect! It works the way I hoped now. Thanks for the fast reply.