x

ADONIS:
Version 3.90.4 (Released at 04/07/2024)
- Bug in interface save/read is fixed.
- Bug in mesh generation action has been fixed.

HYRCAN:
Version 2.0.13 (Released at 02/03/2024)
- To allow users to import CAD files using scripting, the importmodel command is introduced.
- Program's webhelp has been reformatted.

Project settings not showing properly on windows 10 [SOLVED](Read 5170 times)
I have discovered this program last year.
I love it as it lets me introduce my students to failure analysis using slices method without the burden of them having to install licenses and using open software. Thanks a lot for that.

I have upgraded to version 2.0.7 today, but I have a problem: I can see nothing in the Analysis/project settings dialog box.

It seems a problem of text scaling. Other dialog boxes don't show properly, either.

I have tried to use windows 8 and 7 compatibility mode for this program with no luck.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 03:06:36 am by ariznaf »
Senior Lecturer on Geotetchnical Engeneering
Mines Department
University of Oviedo

Re: Project settings not showing properly on windows 10 Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 05:26:20 am
I have investigated it more deeply.

The problem appears when I have a sencondary screen connected, like while doing demonstrations to my students.

When I use only de main screen it works properly.

It seems that when windows detects two screens with different sizes and resolutions, it selects a compromise resolution and uses a scale factor for text in displays with too much resolution (mine is 2560x1440) in order to display the text with enough size.

All modern programs support text scaling but older programs do not, and the text size is not correctly calculated and it gets out of the dialog box.

If I manually select a text scale of 100% the dialog box displays correctly, but it is hard to read in screens with high resolution and DPI.

I don't know if it is easy to adapt the programs to take text scaling into account, it would be great if hyrcan and adonis support it.
Mines Department
University of Oviedo

Re: Project settings not showing properly on windows 10 Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 08:23:03 am
Hi

thanks for your comments. yes I'm fully aware of this issue. unfortunately I was not able to solve it properly. this issue happens in small monitors with low resolution. I'm still working on it hopefully one day I'll be able to solve it.

-Roozbeh

Re: Project settings not showing properly on windows 10 Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 05:01:52 am
No, not exactly, it does not happens in low resolution monitors (at least not only in them, I have not tested in a low resolution monitor).

Just the opposite: the problem is related to monitors with huge resolution and a high DPI, 100DPI or more (very small pixels witha a pixel density higher than traditional monitors).

In my case I discoverd it when I connect my laptop to my desktop screen. IU thought it was due to be using two screen, but not, it happens when I use only the desktop screen.

This screen has a resolution of 2550x1440 pixel, and it has a DPI higher than usual screens (smaller pixels).
In this screens windows uses a scale factor for text, thus the menus and texts in the programs specfied in pixels are not so tiny.

A text only a few pixels wide in this screeens is almos not readable, so it uses a scale factor (depending on the DPI of the screen).

The problem is that some programs do not work well with that scale factor and the size of dialog boxes and text boxes is not correctly calculated and text does not fit.

If I change manually the text scaling to 100% dialog boxes work correctly in your program (I discoverd it later) but text is very small and difficult to read.

Anyway in my case I can still use it in this screen, but other with higher DPI would be imposible to use.

Modern programs with metro interface don't seem to have problems with it.
May be there is a configuration parameter that can be stablished programmatically in order to solve it, but I cannot help in that, I don't know how it is solved.

I tried to run the program in compatibility mode (windows 7 and 8) but there was no difference.

It is a minor problem that only appears in some monitors, but it will be more frequent as high DPI screens get to the masses, most new screens have a DPI of 100 or more.
Mines Department
University of Oviedo

Re: Project settings not showing properly on windows 10 Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 11:56:59 am
I made some modifications in the new release (i.e. V2.0.8). please give it a try and let me know if it makes any different.

-Roozbeh

Re: Project settings not showing properly on windows 10 Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 03:05:15 am
Great, now it seems to work correctly, thank you. Even with text scale of 200%.

Great work, thanks a lot for the quick fix.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 07:35:59 am by ariznaf »
Mines Department
University of Oviedo